“... the glory of children are their fathers.” Proverbs 17:6


 The picture above was take working the grill with Dad, while listening to Irish music and enjoying a Killian’s Red.   Note:  Dad would always buy Killian’s Red (an Irish beer) when I was coming over. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This blog post is to remember/honor my father James Michael Hanley.  Ten years ago - today, my dad passed away from a sudden heart failure.  I was shocked at his sudden death, because I only saw him a few days before his death (we visited on Memorial Day) and he looked better then he did on past visits.  

I do remember that  visit with fondness, because for the whole day, I had my father to myself.   We went out to refill the propane tank (we were going to barbecue) and was surprised and delighted that he was going to drive to the gas station (he hasn’t been driving lately).   During the trip I remember telling my dad a couple things.    First, I told my dad how grateful I was to God, because he seemed to be doing so well after being hit with two health related trials in the last few years. He told me that it hasn’t been easy – but that he’s been working hard at getting better.  He mentioned the weights that my brother Kevin bought him to workout with.  The second thing I gave him was an update that my girls and I playing the bagpipes.   I told him how much I appreciated when he and I went to bagpipe lessons together when I was a kid.   That it was so special to me, because of how much time we spent together.  I told him that I wanted the same thing with my daughters.  My dad did not respond with words - but with a smile I could tell he was touched by my words of gratitude.  

One thing that was strange was later on Dad was telling me about his childhood home in Jersey City.  He brought out a number of very old photographs and shared them with me (never did this before).  One of those photographs he stopped to show me was him (as a child) with two other children (relatives).  He stopped and said 'I never realized that I am the only one still alive in this picture.'   Makes me wonder if he was feeling his mortality and on some level he knew his time on this earth was short. 

After lunch (which was really good), we went down alongside the river in their back yard.   It was a wonderful end of a perfect day.

I’m so grateful that I was able to spend the day with him, and connect with him before the Lord took him.     I thank the Lord, that I do have the memory of a wonderful father, which left a positive legacy for his children.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running away from Depression and Anxiety

Jesus tells us he did not come for the righteous but for sinners